Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Leg Press

FACT: Strength Training engages your muscles and burns more calories than cardio workouts as your body requires fuel to repair ripped muscle tissue for up to 48 Hours.


Now I will never criticize Cardiovascular Workouts but I will promote Anerobic Workouts every day of the week. Your body is like an engine; cardio will burn fuel as a car goes to the store only lifting weights leaves the motor running all night until it runs out of gas or refuel ie in the applicable sense, eat more food.


Taking things one step further... your lower body makes up about half of your muscle mass between glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves however is arguably the easiest muscle group to Workout. Therefore a quick and simple workout hitting all major leg muscles can burn just as much calories as lifting your core, back, chest, bis, tris, delts, and traps combined. 



THP Fit Tip #5: Lifting your legs will burn more calories over a 48 hour period than any other individual muscle, combine with cardio for the ultimate calorie burning workout!

And when you burn more calories than you consume... you start Burning Fat!! The gym I workout in isn't great but it gets the job done. I tried out the following workout yesterday and it took my 20 minutes so I ran for another 10 after at 15kpm pace to get the sweat rolling off of my brow.

  • 3 sets of squats on a smith machine: 135, 185, & 200lb
  • 3 sets of calf raises directly after each of the squats: 20 reps
  • 4 sets of lunges on a smith machine: each leg at 135 & 150lb
  • 3 sets of Mountain Climbers: 100, 80, & 60 reps

The weighted lifts I did until failure with about 45 seconds between each set. This morning legs burned and could feel the Muscle Repair... Not really but could only imagine. There are dozens of great leg lifts to compliment or replace the above mentioned but squats & lunges are fantastic to target each muscle group. Just be careful not to press your legs past the 90° in order to avoid stress on your knee joints.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I will have to focus more on my legs now! Great post.

    ReplyDelete