Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Magic Metabolism

Too many people have expectations that running a couple times a week will get them into super shape. When in actuality not even the longest hardest most physically exhausting Cardiovascular or Weight Training Workout will show the results you expect if you don't make the lifestyle discussion to compliment the workouts.

I'll cut to the point... I'm referring to your diet!! Healthy Eating & Healthy Living are one in the same and choosing the right types of food will render the results you EXPECT!! Now I've used that word  twice now, you need to manage your diet to manage your EXPECTATIONS

To gain muscle: Focus on eating enough protein to fuel your body & repair exhausted muscles which increases your metabolism.

To loose weight: Eat less calories than your body consumes and you will burn stored fat, simple...

Keep in mind 1 gram of Protein & Carbohydrates each contain 4 calories however protein helps promote the release of the fat destroying hormone Glucagon where carbs if not burned get stored as fat... Further 1 gram of Fat contains 9 calories making it more than twice as hard to burn, so if you want to look like your favorite Disney character stay away from unhealthy Fast Food!!

A quick way to determine the amount of calories you burn per day is to use BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculators. Example: I am 27, 5ft 11in, 165lbs... My BMI (Body Mass Index) is 23 with a BMR of just over 1800 calories per day, note this is the caloric intake to maintain the same weight purely for your body to function. RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) on the otherhand assumes a normal day without exercise, only about 350 calories more!! 

Now when you workout your AMR (Active Metabolic Rate) exponentially increases your Metabolism by using Multipliers. I workout 3-5 times a week so my Activity Factor is 1.55 therefore I can assume I need to eat 2800 calories per day just to maintain my current weight.

My girlfriend has been making some delicious & healthy recipes using High Protein Substitutions like Quinoa, Greek Yogurt & Fresh Green Vegetables for some of the well known fat & carb loaded ingredients. I'll tell you its actually hard to consume 2800 calories when eating right. I've been on this health kick for over 4 months now; I feel great, lost body fat & gained muscle... All by balancing exercise with a healthy diet.

I know this is a lot to take in and the concept probably isn't providing any new information but I challenge you to make some small lifestyle adjustments to meet your expectations; go see a nutritionist to balance your diet, workout 1 Extra Day per week, cut out the empty calories like soda or sweets & I bet you'll see results...

No comments:

Post a Comment